In the process of SEO, one of the most critical steps is Technical SEO. You can never generate the results you want if there a problem occurs in your technical SEO. This is why you should understand what a technical SEO is and how to make it work to gain a fruitful outcome.
Search Engine Optimisation is ever-changing and complex although, the basics are simple to understand, and the slightest knowledge about the SEO proof to make a significant difference.
What is an SEO?
The complete form of SEO is Search Engine Optimisation; it is a practice to generate traffic to a website in their quality and quantity using search engine results.
Here is a better way to understand SEO:
- Traffic quality – Having visitors to your site since Google points them to you is not quality traffic. To receive quality traffic, you need visitors with a genuine interest in your products that you offer on your website.
- Traffic quantity – After gaining the exemplary visitors’ interests with the help of search engine result pages (SERP), you will have more visitors, which will eventually increase the quantity of traffic.
- Organic traffic – the traffic you generate without paying for is what you would call organic traffic, and the ads account for a crucial part of most search engine result pages.
The three pillars of SEO:
- Technical Search Engine Optimization – Technical SEO takes charge of making the search crawlers accessible to different websites.
- On-Page SEO works with the contents and ways to make the search results as fitting as possible to what the users ask.
- Off-Page on the other hand, is the procedure to get mentions from different websites so that your sites can have an increase in trust whenever there is a ranking process.
All these three processes/ pillars have to work hand-in-hand to have your website optimize completely.
What is technical SEO?
To put it simply, Technical Search Engine Optimization is a process to enhance your website; this helps search engines crawl, index, access, and interpret your website without facing any hurdles. The work does not have anything to do with your website’s material or its promotion; thus, it is called technical. The primary objective of technical SEO is optimizing the infrastructure of the websites.
Technical SEO is an essential step in search engine optimization since the search engines will not index the content if any unfavourable outcome occurs with your technical SEO; your SEO efforts will also have a negative effect. It would be best if you always gave primary importance to have a technical SEO audit and solve any complications before proceeding any further with other tasks. And the plus point of this is that you will not face any problems similar to it besides having to keep a check on it from time to time.
What’s involved in technical SEO?
To have a clearer understanding of the whole technical search engine optimization, you need to understand a gist or how the search engines work.
Here is an overview of the process involved:
Crawling is the first step any search engine takes before it answers your search queries, and then the next step involves the process of indexing. The indexing process looks for web pages available for the public to add the pages to their index. After discovering these pages, they read and organize them into their database, which can be accessible later by the algorithms ranked to produce the accurate searches that the users enter.
Essential tasks of technical SEO:
- Specifying the domain you prefer – It becomes quite confusing for crawlers when you do not configure your website correctly, although it does not make any difference for users. You will have to specify the domain you prefer, like deciding if you want to add www in your domain and communicate it to the search engines.
- Checking for crawl errors time-to-time – In technical SEO auditing, it is necessary to register your website to Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster tools. You should also fix any issues that are reported.
- Crucial to check and optimize your robots.txt file – The robots.txt file provides instructions to search engines, such as allowing them to crawl and index on the pages of your website that you want. Also, you should keep in mind that if there are any mistakes in the robot.txt, the impact can have adverse effects on your rankings.
- Reviewing your site’s structure – It is essential to structure your website for SEO; a complicated structure makes the work difficult for search engines. The best way to make sure that your website can be indexed without having any problems is by having a hierarchical structure.
- The need to optimize the URLs – You should create friendly URLs for SEO to help both the users and search engines.
- Reviewing and optimizing your XML Sitemap – XML Sitemap contains all the list of essential pages of a website that a search engine should generally know. It is a necessary step in technical SEO to optimize and submit your sitemap to the search engines.
- Taking advantage of structured data – To help the search engines understand your content more appropriately, you need to add a structure of data markup on your website. This method can have a significant impact on your website traffic and ranking.
- Activating and optimizing breadcrumb menus – An essential component of a friendly SEO website is when you correctly configure breadcrumb.
- Setting canonical URLs – The purpose of canonical URLs is to notify search engines of the URL of a particular page. It is similar to the changes in the domain you prefer, but it becomes very vital when your website has duplicate content and when your content is syndicated on other sites.
- Adding SSL and making your URLs to HTTPS on your website – It is a common understanding that having a secured URL affects the ranking factor and also critical for creating trust with your users.
- Checking for dead links and optimizing your 404 page – One bad experience for your users has a broken link. It is an essential technical SEO task to check on dead links and optimize the pages for users when they do not find the link for pages your website shows.
- In the end, you will have to implement hreflang if there is more than one language on your website. This will be helpful for the search engines to identify each language to index the content.
This brings us to the end of what Technical SEO Warrington is about. As aforementioned in the start, the first step when starting with SEO is the technical SEO, and after you get it right, you can begin with On-Page SEO and start optimizing your website’s contents.